Wednesday 15 July 2009

First Cucumber

first cucumber
This is our first cucumber - with plenty more to come

Tonight I picked our first cucumber. I thought it was plenty big enough and when measured it was about 12 inches long (more if you take the curve into account - the EU won't be pleased). Looking at the plants there are plenty more to come so we'll be having cucumber sandwiches all summer. Well, I'm more sure of having cucumbers than I am of having a summer! The variety is Aurelia F1 and it's an all female variety which means there are no male flowers to risk the fruit getting pollinated and going bitter. Saying that I have not tasted it yet! The four seeds were planted on 7th May so have produced fruit in about 9 weeks. They have been getting regular feeding once the flowers appeared so that should have helped.

Along with the cucumber I dug up the remaining Charlotte potatoes from the recycling container. We want to eat them on the weekend and I've dug them up now to give their skins time to mature. The others we've had have lost their skins during boiling and I think this is because they are too fresh.
This is the last of our early potatoes. The rest are King Edwards and Desiree which are still going strong in their corner of the garden.
potatoes and cucumber
Today's harvest - Charlotte potatoes and Aurelia F1 cucumber

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, and all hints, tips and advice are greatly appreciated!