Thursday 28 May 2009

The Little Things

Time for an update on the little things. First off I had to look very carefully but eventually managed to spy some tiny broad beans! There are loads of flowers on the plants but they kept dropping off. I think this was down to the awfully wet, windy weather we've been experiencing. I'm assuming it stopped the bees coming out and hanging around our beans, thus the flowers were simply wasted.
tiny broad bean
A Tiny weeny broad bean

Staying with the rainy weather I thought it would be the undoing of our first courgette. However, it seems to be ok, even though there was no male flower open at the time. It's growing well and got a little sister too.
baby courgettes
Courgette growing well with little sister

There are two apple trees in our garden being trained along wires as
'espaliers'. One tree still has its label on which says it's an Egremont Russet. I suspect the other is too.
Earlier in the spring I gave both trees a good pruning (too good I think as I my have removed some of the fruit spurs!). Anyway, a few flowers duly came and cheered me up and now, in between the leaves, are baby apples! Hooray!
young apples
There are a few little apples on our two trees

Carrying on the fruit theme, the strawberry patch now had had mesh put over it. Hopefully this will prevent attacks from squirrels and pigeons. Grrr.
strawberries protected by mesh
The strawberries have some protection at last

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, and all hints, tips and advice are greatly appreciated!