Tuesday 10 March 2009

Strawberry Fields

In our last house Emily had a very successful strawberry patch and we want to grow a new one in Matt's Patch. So over the weekend when we were in the local garden centre we bought three young strawberry plants. I never know which ones to get, but this problem was solved by the fact that they really only had one variety - Cambridge Favourite. I've since looked it up and it seems that this variety is popular with the 'pick your own' growers as they are flavoursome and hold up well on the plants. We shall see.

There are already raspberry canes in the garden and we had some nice fruit off them when we first moved in. I'm toying with the idea of putting the strawberry plants in the same area, to create a fruit corner, but I don't think there'll be enough sun as it's surrounded by some bushes that I moved that were blocking off the whole corner.

At the moment the strawbs are still in their pots in the greenhouse. I'm treating them like a new pet, where you have to let them get used to their new home before you let them out.

Potatoes
A few days ago I have moved my seed potatoes into the sun room at the back of the house as I was worried that they were not getting enough light in the garage to do their chitting. They seem to be doing better now but that could be my imagination. I'll just have to make sure that two-year-old Megan does not discover them!

Seeds
I'm starting to get anxious about the seeds I've planted. So far only the lettuce and land cress have decided to have any inclination of joining Matt's Patch. The seeds have been in for about two and a half weeks now and not a sign. I think I need to be more patient.
Emily also wants to grow some sweetcorn so I bought some yesterday and we'll hopefully get them in pots tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should keep the strawberry plants in the greenhouse. You'll get a much better crop with them in there.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment, and all hints, tips and advice are greatly appreciated!