Thursday 23 April 2009

Patch's Patch

As the weather is getting warmer, we decided that Patch the guinea pig needed to be out in the garden more. So over the weekend I bought some wood and a roll of wire mesh and made a rudimentary run for her. She loves it! Now she can nibble grass and the odd dandelion all day long.
I still have a bit more to do on it, like make a shelter section down one end so she has somewhere to go if it's too sunny. I also need to treat it with some pet-friendly preservative. Overall we're as pleased with it as Patch is!
Next woodwork lesson is making a planter ...

Potatoes are sprouting!
Had a quick look at the early potatoes that were planted in the containers and they've sprouted already! The Red Duke of York are growing faster than the Charlotte ones. Strangely I expected all the leaves to be green, but they're red (or purple) for the Yorks. Time to cover them over again soon!

2 comments:

  1. excellent tatties - so you just bury the growths completely? Or do you leave a little bit poking out of the top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to 'almost' cover the growths. I'm just going to use general purpose compost to which I've mixed in some bonemeal. It's all a bit of an experiment at this point.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment, and all hints, tips and advice are greatly appreciated!