Thursday 26 April 2012

Strawberry Flowers

I've had two strawberry plants overwintering in the greenhouse. It gets so cold, and they dry out so much that I think they enter some deep dormant state.

As the temperatures gradually climbed as spring arrived I took a little more care of them, like watering them for a start!

Needless to say they have come on in leaps and bounds now and have masses of flowers on them. I really need to start giving them some feed now. I believe they like tomato feed.

I was concerned that as they were in the greenhouse there would be no bees etc to pollinate them properly. However they seem to be doing ok and the fruits are growing so other insects in the greenhouse must be doing the job instead.

I'm not sure how old these are but they could well be in their third year now. The productiveness of the strawberry plant is supposed to diminish after three years, with the second year being the most productive. I think. What do I know, apart from the fact that I like strawberries! I can't wait! Bring on the strawberries.

strawberry flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, and all hints, tips and advice are greatly appreciated!